Protect Your Dog Or Cat From These Four Fall Foes

Every season has its inherent hazards for pets, and fall is no exception. With the changing of the weather comes a host of potential dangers for dogs and cats.  

This fall, protect your pet from these four hazards: 

1. Rodenticides

When the weather cools, rodents try to find their way into someplace warm for winter- perhaps your house! This is when many people begin to use rodenticide to kill rats and mice, as well as prevent an infestation, which brings its own health hazards.  

Be careful that your pet does not ingest these products, as they can be lethal for dogs and cats. Watch for symptoms of poisoning, including: 

  • Listless or lethargic 

  • Loss of appetite 

  • Panting 

  • Excess drooling 

  • Pale gums 

  • Bloody or black stool 

Some types of rodenticides can cause liver failure, kidney failure, and seizures, and may be fatal. If you believe your pet has been poisoned, seek veterinary care immediately.  

2. Leaves and Foliage

Who would think that piles of leaves in the yard are hazardous for pets? They can be if your pet ingests them. Leaves are potentially toxic and full of bacteria and mold. They may cause diarrhea, vomiting, and a loss of appetite in dogs and cats. Get rid of yard waste, leaf piles, and debris. 

3. Mushrooms

Fall is the season for mushrooms, and while many are harmless and edible, others can be lethal. Don't try to identify mushrooms on your own, it requires experience and a trained eye. If your pet is experiencing diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, lethargy, seizures, or other signs of pain, they may have ingested toxic mushrooms and need medical attention immediately.  

To be safe, keep your yard and lawn trimmed and rid of mushrooms that pop up.  

4. Halloween

There are lots of things to watch out for when it comes to Halloween and pets; the sights and sounds can be scary, and many dogs or cats may try to flee. Be cognizant of treats, tricks, and décor that could put your pet at risk. Here are some Halloween tips: 

  • During Halloween festivities, there could be strangers at the door and chaos. Keep pets secure and do not attempt to answer the door until pets are restrained, secured, or safe from fleeing.  

  • Be wary of what your pet has access to during this time of year. Candies and other goodies can be toxic—plus, the packaging may be a choking hazard. Keep treats safely out of reach.  

  • Watch for lights and other Halloween décor that could be within reach of your pet, as that could tangle them up, choke them, or be ingested. Anything that you pull out for the holiday will be new and enticing to a curious pet.  

Take care to prevent these fall foes from endangering your dogs or cats. Does your pet exhibit signs of toxic poisoning? Seek medical attention and take pets to an animal hospital near you, such as South Seattle Veterinary Hospital.